Let’s rewind to little queer me!
Hello, I’m Rogan and welcome. Today I’ll be doing the Pride Rewind tag, originated by Jackson Bird and Lindsay of Queer Kid Stuff. Jackson is a trans YouTuber, he makes great stuff, and it’s all captioned! Lindsay makes content for kids all about queer stuff, to help them understand others and maybe figure themselves out! Before I get into it, Jackson mentioned that for this tag, it’s focusing on childhood experiences, roughly 12 years old and younger. I will give you what I remember, since I didn’t actually realize I was queer in any way until college, and that will be covered in the next video!
1. How do you identify? Broadly, I identify as queer for both sexuality and gender. More specifically, for sexuality, I identify as queer, bi, pan, all are fine with me. I’m also demiromantic. Gender, I’m still questioning, but right now, I’m strongly leaning toward graygender.
2. Share a story of you doing something that probably hinted to everyone around you that you were queer/trans/etc. I can’t think of a specific story right now, but I was definitely not “boyish.” I wasn’t “girlish” either, just… in a gray area (get it?). I was somewhat into theater in elementary/middle school. That’s such a stereotypical thing for queer kids, but there it is! I was never into sports, cars, things that are stereotypically masculine. I also had no interest in fashion, makeup, things that are stereotypically feminine. I enjoyed cooking, and was always into reading, which strangely is not a “manly” thing. So basically, my whole existence screamed that I wasn’t straight or that I didn’t quite fit in gender norms.
3. When was the first time you had an inkling you were different? I pretty much was always different. I grew up being the weird kid who loves books. I kind of always knew I was different, I just didn’t have the words or the knowledge to articulate it. And even after learning about queer people, it never occurred to me that it might apply to me. It gets complicated since I’m attracted to more than one gender, so I grew up having the “right” attraction to women. I just didn’t realize I was having the same feelings for more than just women.
4. When did you first learn about being gay/queer/etc.? I don’t know when I first learned about queerness, but I did know about different forms of love at a young age, I just didn’t think about it because it wasn’t in my life. The first openly queer person in my life was one of my childhood best friends, they came out to me as gay when we were in freshman year of high school. So around that time was when I started learning a little more about the queer community, but I didn’t really get into it until I realized I was queer.
5. Who was your first queer celebrity crush? Like I mentioned earlier, it’s a little odd because as a queer person who’s attracted to more than one gender, it was easy to dismiss my queer crushes as just really liking that person, and not something more like attraction. And on top of that, I’m demiromantic, so I feel like crushes don’t really happen the same way for me as they do for a lot of people. But a couple I can recall are Jewel Staite and Sean Maher, who played Kaylee and Simon in the show Firefly.
6. Tag four people to do the tag too! I tag Ahsante the Artist, Chase Ross, Chandler Wilson, and Kat Blaque. If you want to do this, feel free to do it too, and let me know! And that’s it for the Pride Rewind Tag!
I hope you learned something new about me today, and be sure to tune in for my next video, which will be my queer story. I’ll be talking about my queer realization – both sexuality and gender, my not-coming-out, and all of that fun stuff! Let me know below about yourself, what your answers to this would be, if you want to. Also if there’s anything you’d like me to make a video about before Pride month is over. That’s it for today, bye!
If you want to support my content financially, I would really appreciate it if you joined my Patreon or made an one-time donation to my ko-fi tip jar. Subscribe to my channel. Follow me on my socials – Facebook, Twitter, Instagram. Thanks for reading, see you next time.
One thought on “Pride Rewind Tag | Rogan Shannon”