Book-related, but not necessarily about books?
Hello, and welcome to the LGBTQIA+ BookTube Tag. I was tagged in this by Kathy Trithardt. I will link her video down below. She tagged me while doing her Bookmas videos. I told her I’d hold it and do it in the new year, and here you go. I also wanted to add that from now on, depending on the situation, I will generally try to limit myself to one book video a week. Because I have plenty of other topics I want to make videos about, and I don’t want books to take over this channel because there’s plenty I want to do. This may be short, because it’s just six questions, so let’s get into it.
1. How do you identify? Queer, bi, pan. I’m fine with any of those. I also suspect I’m demiromantic. As for gender, I’m somewhat questioning at the moment.
2. What are some of your favorite LGBTQIA+ books and authors? For books, a recent favorite is Ramona Blue. I haven’t read that many queer books. Partly because I don’t seek out queer books. I do want to read much more this year. For authors, I don’t really know. I don’t necessarily pay attention to the identity of the author. Yes, sometimes I will see, “Oh, a trans person wrote this book specifically about the trans experience.” Or an intersex person wrote about their intersex experience. Yeah, of course, that I will know. But if it’s like a fiction story, like Ramona Blue, I won’t necessarily pay attention to, “Oh, does the author have that experience?” I just read the book. If it’s good, it’s good. If it’s not, it’s not.
3. How often do you discuss LGBTQIA+ books on your channel? And what videos of yours would you recommend people start with, if they’re looking for LGBTQIA+ content? If the book I’m reading has queer content, or was written by someone who’s queer, I will mention it, yes. But like I said earlier, it’s not something that I make a point of doing. By videos of mine, is the question about books, or just in general? For book-related, I’d say start with one of my wrap-ups that had a lot of queer books in it. I will link it in the card and below. For queer videos, I’d say start with “Why I Prefer Queer” or “Queer Signs.” I will link both below.
4. Who are your favorite LGBTQIA+ booktubers? I don’t watch much BookTube at the moment, because many aren’t captioned. And I haven’t taken the time to explore those that have captions yet. But one that I do watch regularly is the person who tagged me for this, Kathy. I get a lot of book recommendations from her, so… Go check her out. Also, the Princess and the Scrivener. They’re not BookTubers, but they will occasionally talk about books.
5. When was the first time you encountered a LGBTQIA+ character in fiction? I have no idea. I read a lot growing up. I still read a lot, so… I probably read something when I was younger, but didn’t realize there was something significant about that because of the way I was raised.
6. Anything else you want to add? And who do you tag? Right now, I don’t know of any books that have GOOD representation of disabled queer people, especially deaf queers. So if you know of any, please let me know! Also, BookTubers, please caption your videos. I would love to watch more book videos, but I’m a little limited at the moment. For the tag, all the queer BookTubers I know have already been tagged. So, if you haven’t done this, and haven’t been tagged, consider it done.
That’s it for the LGBTQIA+ BookTube Tag. If you want to answer any of these questions in the comments below, go ahead! Recommend any LGBTQIA+ books, LGBTQIA+ authors, and I will try my best to read more this year!
If you want to support my content financially, I would really appreciate it if you joined my Patreon or made an one-time donation to my ko-fi tip jar. Subscribe to my channel. Follow me on my socials – Facebook, Twitter, Instagram. Thanks for reading, see you next time.